"God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change those things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference"


Cherokee Prayer Blessing:
May the Warm Winds of Heaven
Blow softly upon your house.
May the Great Spirit
Bless all who enter there.
May your Mocassins
Make happy tracks
in many snows,
and may the Rainbow
Always touch your shoulder.


Saturday, February 23, 2008

PATRIOTISM















Such a hard word. I never thought about it before, but words really are hard to define and understand. What means one thing to one person may mean something entirely different to another. And even defining a word can become difficult with various meanings.


So here comes the loaded word: Patriotism. To me, it is the love beyond all other to a specific cause or ideal. It does not have to be a country or piece of land. One can easily hold patriotism to religion or even to a family. Patriotism can come at different times, can flare up in dangerous situations, and then can trickle off. When feeling patriotic, one can easily be willing to sacrifice life or other aspects of self to honor the feeling of devotion. To hold patriotism is to love something, that simple. To love something or someone beyond all thought and be willing to sacrifice for that something.

1 comment:

Narco-2 said...

I think your right about patriotism being an abstract and difficult idea to describe. I think you may have hit the mark a little better than me.