"God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change those things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference"


Cherokee Prayer Blessing:
May the Warm Winds of Heaven
Blow softly upon your house.
May the Great Spirit
Bless all who enter there.
May your Mocassins
Make happy tracks
in many snows,
and may the Rainbow
Always touch your shoulder.


Friday, April 4, 2008

Censorship in our World

I have to be honest; this chapter of the text has to be my favorite so far. I liked the presentation of Toulmin arguments. First of all, it came at a great time in the class; right as we are beginning to write our papers. I believe going over this topic has helped me prepare immensely and I plan on using the Toulmin analysis in writing my paper. Already it has helped me to stay organized and open-minded.

The essay by Alan Dershowz was another highlight of this week. Not only was it a continuation on the topic of censorship and the idea of free speech, but it was also a perfect example of the Toulmin argument style. I love how the essay was reversed, putting the examples and evidence first, then the warrants, claims, and thesis. If I had a better grasping, I would try it myself!

Although this essay was very insightful and well written, I have to say it did not change my views about censorship. Mostly because my views are his- nothing can realistically be censored. If something offensive to one person is banned, then ten million other things that are offensive would have to be banned as well. To censor would be to enter a world like that of Orwell’s in 1984. Nothing is private due to a fear of someone performing a banned action.

All in all, my views coincide with Dershowz’s and those of my peers. Censorship is not the answer to offensive material. Instead, each individual must rise against it, accepting and posing their own arguments. Then all views are heard, offensive or not. It is up to the individual to decide.

No comments: